Friday, August 3, 2012

Standalone Sherpa 4.4.1 Released

I have released the standalone version of Sherpa 4.4.1 at the Sherpa website:

http://cxc.cfa.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/

As in past releases, the purpose is to allow Python users to install Sherpa as a Python module, without reference to any other CIAO package or program.

I release the source code tarball, sherpa-4.4.1.tar.gz, that contains all the Sherpa source code we released with CIAO 4.4.1.  Release notes can be found at NOTES-4.4.1.txt.  The new version is also available at the cxcdev github repository for Sherpa.

This is a minor patch update.  I have added support for the XSPEC 12.7.1 libraries, and interfaces to seven new additive models.  The Sherpa 4.4.0 tarball is still available in the download directory.

I am also working on Mac disk images.  I am nearly done with them, thanks to input from Brian a little while back.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you put up the Sherpa sources at https://github.com/cxcdev/sherpa .

    Unfortunately I get a build error (on Mac OS X Lion with clang):
    https://gist.github.com/3349048

    I suppose I should use gcc instead and give more compile options.
    The existing install notes seem to be a bit outdated when it comes to Mac:
    http://cxc.cfa.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/#platforms
    http://www.astropython.org/tutorial/2010/1/Installing-Sherpa-standalone-for-X-ray-analysis

    Is the CXC helpdesk the proper place to report issues and install questions for standalone Sherpa or could you consider github issues or a google group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really like try out some of the new functionality of Sherpa 4.4.1 but see there are no updated Ubuntu packages available yet . Will any be made in the near future ? The previous Ubuntu debs were an excellent way to install the s/w.

    While I don't mind attempting to build sherpa standalone, I know from experience it is a painful process at times, and is impossible to do so without dropping region library support, which is also useful to have. Is anyone looking into separating out the region library from ciao so it can be shipped with sherpa ? (I really don't want to install all of ciao just for the region library and a fully functioning sherpa!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a surviving bug from 4.4.0: Even though wcs support is not required, it is still automatically imported as part of sherpa.astro.ui, which results in an import error when trying to load this.
    The sherpa.ui module works fine, and the error can be fixed by retrieving and building the wcstools/wcssubs library in the build folder and pointing the build script there for wcs support, but I suspect that fixing it in the package is quite a bit easier. It has kept at least one of my colleagues from trying out Sherpa which I had otherwise recommended him.

    ReplyDelete